Frequently Asked Questions or FAQs

FAQs answer some of the most common questions the staff at the Southwest Center for Independent Living receive regarding disability related matters. You may also try searching in the box in the upper right for information on the website or visit the Disability Web Links or Area Disability Resources pages.

If you have questions, please contact us at 417.886.1188, Email Us or stop by one of our offices.

Topics Below:

Care at Home Hearing Aid Funding Guardianship
Special Education MPACT Transitions  Affordable & Accessible Housing






Can you help me find supports to remain in my own home? 

Yes, SCIL offers a wide range of programs and services to help people with disabilities live independently.Two SCIL programs that can assist with daily living and personal care can help you maintain your independence in the community:

Services available:

  • Personal Care – bathing, dressing, or grooming.
  • Meal Preparation – cooking and feeding
  • Housekeeping – cleaning, laundry, dishes Toileting Health – medications, assistance with transferring
  • Respite and Nursing services
  • Errands and shopping

Examples of those receiving services:

A young woman with muscular dystrophy lives with her parents in their family home. CDS allows her sibling to provide care for her and keep her from moving to a facility. The program also enabled her parents to continue to work outside the home while she received the care she needs.

A man with diabetes and cardiac problems continues to live independently in his home with to the assistance provided through In-Home Services. His meals, grocery shopping, and housekeeping are provided for him so he can properly manage his health and house, and live healthier and independently.

Eligibility:  CDS and In-Home Services accept Medicaid. In-Home Services also works with Veteran’s Benefits, Private Pay and insurance.

Please contact SCIL today to find out more and to see if you qualify.

Nov 2012

Where can I find Hearing Aid funding assistance? 

Hearing aids can cost thousands and often insurance does not cover their expense, including Medicare and Medicaid. If you need hearing aids, but cannot afford them, here are other sources of possible funding:

  1. Show Me Loan Program or– a low interest (2-4%) loan for assistive technology devices, home modifications and vehicle modifications.
  2. Hear Now Program or – assists U.S. residents with hearing loss who have no resources to acquire hearing aids. The program bases eligibility upon household income and resources. To apply applicants must pay a non-refundable $125 application fee per hearing aid.
  3. Midwest Special Needs Trust or – a charitable grant up to $1,000 for low-income people with disabilities.
  4. If you are eligible for VA or Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, check to see if you may be able to get assistance with hearing aid expenses.
  5. An alternative to purchasing a hearing aid would include a personal amplifier that may help with your hearing loss. These devices generally range from less than $100 – up to $300. The SCIL ACTT Demonstration Room offers personal amplifiers to try out! Please contact us to schedule an appointment.

Learn more on the ACTT page or contact the assistive technology staff at 417.886.1188.

Dec 2012

Do you or someone you know live in a nursing facility and would prefer to live independently in the community?

A funding source has been created through the state of Missouri; it is known as the Money Follows the Person Demonstration Grant (MFP). This funding source will assist individuals with transitioning out of the nursing facility or a rehabilitation setting into the community to live independently. It will allow for the opportunity to live in a person-centered environment; allowing the individual to make independent choices.MFP Funding Assists with:

  • First month rent
  • Deposits for apartment/house or utilities
  • Furniture
  • Small kitchen appliances
  • And other approved items

Once approved, a transition coordinator assists the individual in the planning process to move, which addresses housing, transportation, formal and informal supports and community resources.  After the transition is completed, the communication continues with personal contact for a year. This will help with any barriers or challenges that may arise.


  • Must be currently living in a nursing facility or habilitation center for 90 days or greater
  • Receive MO HealthNet benefits for at least one day

Non-eligible: If an individual does not qualify for the Money Follows the Person Demonstration, they can utilize many community resources. SCIL has been assisting individuals’ transition into the community for many years and has several services from which people with disabilities can benefit.

To learn more visit the Transition page or contact us at 417.886.1188.

Dec 2012

Where can I find help with special education for my child? 

Parents of children with disabilities face challenges every day that other parents do not have. Navigating the maze of special education and special services can become difficult and parents need to create a plan that will help children achieve successful outcomes through education. How do we reach these goals? How do we know what choices to make for and with our children? MPACT can help answer your questions.Missouri Parent’s Act (MPACT) mission: to ensure that all children with special needs receive an education, which allows them to achieve their personal goals.MPACT is a statewide parent training and information center that serves parents of children with all disabilities. Their primary goal is to assist parents to effectively advocate for their children’s educational rights and services. MPACT staff and volunteers are located throughout Missouri and work with public and private agencies, parent groups, professional organizations and advocacy groups to achieve that goal.

MPACT provides up-to-date information online, as well as training sessions that take place year-round throughout the state. To learn more about their wealth of special education resources, please visit or call their toll-free number 1-800-743-7634 and let their staff answer any questions you may have. You may also request more information through Missouri’s education agency or your local school district.

SCIL Youth Services can assist you in setting goals and the steps to achieve them, please visit the Youth Services page or contact us at 417.886.1188.

Dec 2012

What is Guardianship? 

What is guardianship?Guardianship is a legal relationship whereby the Probate Court gives one person (the guardian) the power to make all personal decisions for another (the ward). A Probate Court may appoint a guardian when it determines that an individual is unable to care for himself or herself due to mental illness, developmental disability or physical incapacity.When is guardianship appropriate?Guardianship is appropriate when impaired judgment or capacity poses a major threat to a person’s welfare. A medical evaluation by a licensed physician is necessary to establish the proposed ward’s condition. However, only a court can determine the need for a guardian.

Alternatives to Guardianship

While full guardianship may be appropriate for some individuals, it is more often too overreaching as it removes all rights and decision-making capacity from those who do have the ability to think and act for themselves. Many alternatives to guardianship exist to give families less intrusive options to assist their loved ones. Alternatives to guardianship include power of attorney, trusts, representative or protective payee, conservatorship, health care proxies and social support services.

More… on the Guardianship Page or please contact SCIL for more information at 417.886.1188.

How can I find affordable housing? 

For individuals with disabilities, finding appropriate housing can be an overwhelming task.  Here at Southwest Center for Independent Living, staff are available to assist individuals in this process.  In addition, we continue to work with housing providers and public officials to increase the availability of affordable, accessible housing.Greene County Housing and Resource Information

2018 Stone and Taney County Housing and Resource Information